Also, some of the questions are political and some are religious. I also let them write about a book they have just finished or once in awhile they choose their own topic.
I hope if you try this with your kids you’ll find it as rewarding as I have. And I’m always in need of new questions- so if you think of any post them in the comments!
– What do we mean when we say “the grass is greener on the other side of the fence?”
– What causes you to feel afraid? Do you feel fear about non-physical things?
– What is something about yourself that you don’t like?
– What is respect? Who deserves it? How do you show it or give it?
– If you could have been someone in history, who would you have been?
– If you could do whatever you wanted, right now, what would you do?
– If you could be in the Guinness Book of Records, what would it be for?
– What does the phrase “personal responsibility” mean to you?
– Describe a time when you felt very angry.
– What is violence? Do you think there is too much violence on T.V. and in video games?
– What are some reasons for not drinking alcohol?
– Is bullying a problem at your school? If it is, why do you think so? If it is not, why do you think so?
– How old should you be to have a smart phone? Why?
– What is racism? Why are some people racist?
– How do we determine if one culture is better than another?
– Why is racism a problem? What can you do?
– Do violent video games make people more violent in real life?
– What are your favorite movies?
– What makes a good commercial?
– Do moms and dads expect different things from their sons and daughters?
– Why aren’t there more girls as leaders in countries, government and businesses?
– When should a government decide to solve problems using the military?
– What is gratitude? How does it make us feel more happy?
– What does it mean to be a good listener?
– If you could travel back in time to your nine year old self, what advice would you give about moving to London?
– Who is a person you know that seems the most Christ-like?
– Is it easy for you to pray? How do you picture God?
– How should parents handle a bad report card?
– Are your parents too protective? Not protective enough? Or just right? How do they protect you?
– Is the UK a great country?
– What stops you from being kind to other people?
– What are some qualities of a good leader?
– What song lyrics do you love?
– If you could invite anyone to dinner, who would you invite? What would you talk about?
– Could you understand what it was like for Malala to move from her country to England? What feelings did you have in common with her?
– What rights and freedoms do you have that are important to you?
– What opinions do you have that are the same as your family?
– What opinions do you have that are different than your family?
– What are the advantages and disadvantages of being the oldest?
– Are there times when it is best to not to speak out, and times when it is best to make your voice heard?
– What do you like most about yourself?
– What historical figure do you admire?
– What does it mean to be brave? Have you ever done something brave?
– What is one of your life goals? What will it take to accomplish it?
– What makes you feel safe?
– What does kindness mean to you? How does it make you feel to give it and receive it?
– Is it easy or hard for you to make decisions? Why?
– If you were a mouse in our house in the evening, what would you see you family do?
– If you make a mess, who cleans it up?
– If there were no rules, what would happen in your city?
– Why does God give commandments?
– Why do you think the ability to focus is an important quality?
– What do you think the world will be like in 50 years?
– How does your school deal with students who misbehave? Do you think it works?
– Does it matter how many kids are in a class?
– Does technology make us more alone?
– Why is it important for people to care about one another?
– Why is cultural diversity important?
– Why do we need art in our lives?
– What are your favorite books and authors?
– Do you think boys and girls should have different jobs or responsibilities?
– Does having a lot of money make you happy?
– Which is more important, talent or hard work?
– Do people complain too much?
– Is it important to live in a clean house?
– What makes a good friend?
– When was a time that your feelings were hurt?
– What is the hardest part about being eight?
– Who is your favorite aunt or uncle? (Don’t ask me why I chose this question- but Eli wrote the sweetest most diplomatic answer about how it would be rude to choose a favorite and he loved all his aunts and uncles.)
– If you could be an animal for a day, what would you be?
– How much food does your family waste?
– How do your parents teach you to behave? Do you agree with it?
– Is America a great country?
– Each day people do things to you that make you feel sad or angry. What are those things? How do you forgive?
– What are the best things about being part of a big family?
– What do you want to be when you grow up?
– What is your favorite season?
– Why does your brain experience fear? How does this help you? How does it hurt you?
– What are some ways to help you handle fear?